Home / Dallas News / Investigation Into Shooting, Gunman Continues Tuesday

Investigation Into Shooting, Gunman Continues Tuesday

The FBI continues to investigate Tuesday what motivated a 22-year-old man to open fire on the Earle Cabell Federal Building in downtown Dallas Monday morning.

A man identified as 22-year-old Brian Isaack Clyde opened fire outside the Earle Cabell Federal Building Monday morning in downtown Dallas, June 17, 2019.
Photo credit: NBC 5 News

Brian Isaack Clyde was fatally shot during an exchange of gunfire with Federal Protective Service officers stationed inside the federal courthouse.

Federal agents have been able to trace when and where he purchased his weapon but would not give any details. Because he had no criminal record, it appears he could have purchased such a gun legally

The building’s lobby, and an adjacent parking lot, remained a crime scene Tuesday afternoon. The FBI says the building will reopen Wednesday.

On Tuesday night, Clyde’s family issued a statement saying “Brian Clyde’s family is stunned and devastated by yesterday’s tragic event. The Brian we knew was kind, a gentle soul, and funny. We don’t understand any more than anyone else why he chose to do what he did, but we are very thankful that there was no other loss of life. Please give us peace to mourn the loss of our son, brother, nephew, uncle, and grandson. Thank you.”

Police continue to ask people to avoid the downtown area as the investigation continues. Officials said part of downtown may be closed at various times as the investigation continues.

Some 300 federal employees were allowed to return to work on Tuesday morning.

“I just hope it is quieter than it was yesterday,” said Gail Anderson.

Anderson was at her desk on the 16th floor when shots rang out.

“I just looked out the window and saw everyone running.”

An FBI evidence response team from San Antonio was brought in to help wrap-up the on-sight investigation.

Several members of the public were unaware the building was closed to the public for the second day.

Maria Arena says her family drove to Dallas from Oklahoma this morning for the second day in a row in an effort to get a passport for her daughter to travel to the Philippines for a funeral.

“I’m kind of frustrated and tired at the moment because at least they could’ve called us and told us: Hey, it’s going to be closed and we will reschedule you at a certain time, which they never did,” said Arena.

The FBI says if anyone had an appointment for a passport they should contact that office and ask about rescheduling.

Those parked in the lot where the shootout ended were able to reclaim their cars Tuesday night.

Tom Kassay said he spent several hours of the day before sheltered in place. He like many others were praising the Federal Protective Service Officers who stopped Clyde.

“For something as rare as that to happen and for them to be as momentarily ready as they were to take this under condition, I commend them 100%,” said Kassay

What We Know

The incident began at about 8:40 a.m. on the south side of the federal building, along Jackson Street where the suspected shooter fired an unknown number of shots at the lobby before exchanging gunfire with Federal Protective Service officers guarding the building. Officials say Clyde was wearing tactical gear, carrying a large rifle and several magazines.

Clyde never made it into the courthouse; he remained outside while shooting one of the doors. In a video obtained by NBC 5, the gunman can be seen firing shots at the south side of the courthouse before running into a nearby parking lot where he collapsed. It’s unclear how many times Clyde was shot by Federal Protective Officers.

He had no pending criminal cases and wasn’t involved in any lawsuits, according to public records.

Clyde came armed with upwards of 150 rounds of ammunition and witnesses at the scene told NBC 5 they heard between 15 and 20 shots fired.
Go here for the full article.

What’s Next

Investigators are trying to determine if there was a motive behind the shooting.

Matt Desarno, special agent in charge of the Dallas FBI office, said they had no other information that Clyde was working with anyone in planning the attack, but that investigators are actively interviewing relatives, known associates and others.

FBI agents searched his Fort Worth apartment and interviewed neighbors.

The incident is being investigated by the FBI, ATF, FPS, U.S. Marshals and the Dallas Police Department.

The FBI is asking for the public’s help gathering photos and video of the incident. Multimedia can be submitted to fbi.gov/dallasshooting. To submit a tip, the agency asks that people visit https://tips.fbi.gov/ or call 1-800-CALL-FBI or 1-800-225-5324.

Who is Brian Isaack Clyde

The Dallas Independent School District confirmed Clyde attended Woodrow Wilson High in 2012 before transferring to a school in Austin his freshman year. He also lived in Corpus Christi, where he recently graduated from Del Mar College.

From 2015 to 2017, Clyde served in the U.S. Army and was stationed at Fort Campbell, Kentucky, before being discharged. The FBI confirmed Monday that Clyde was discharged in 2017 and that they were working with the Department of Defense to examine his military record and learn more about his friends and associates.

On Tuesday, an FBI spokeswoman said Clyde was honorably discharged.

Dallas Morning News photographer Tom Fox says he shot this photo of the suspected shooter before crouching behind a wall, Photo credit: Tom Fox, The Dallas Morning News

NBC 5 did not uncover any criminal history and the FBI confirmed Monday afternoon that Clyde was not part of any prior FBI investigation.

Desarno said Monday that investigators have recovered the rifle used in the attack and are working with the ATF to learn how and when it was purchased

The FBI is encouraging anyone with video and/or pictures of the 6/17/19 shooting to submit it to the Bureau at fbi.gov/dallasshooting. You can also submit tips at https://tips.fbi.gov/ or 1-800-CALL-FBI.

Check Also

Shooting wounds man outside Far East Dallas nightclub

A man ran to Walmart and called police after he was shot outside a nightclub …